Monday, February 18, 2013

{Virtual Book Club for Kids} Move, Eat, Draw, Learn with Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

This year, we have been doing a new project, Project 101: Weekly Library Challenge in which I share 2 books each week that we are reading with 101 books shared by the end of the year. I typically share on Monday, but this week I will be sharing on Friday, as today I am excited to be posting our Virtual Book Club for Kids post for the month -- and what a wonderful and beloved author we are featuring this month: Dr. Seuss, whose book Green Eggs and Ham was the feature of Project 101 last week and is a book we have had so much fun moving, eating, drawing and learning with, as we do with each book we explore through the Virtual Book Club for Kids. Enjoy!

1. Move! I love crafts and activities that incorporate recycled materials, so when we wanted to create a Green Eggs and Ham-inspired movement activity, I pulled out the green and white buttons we used at Christmas for our button Christmas trees and some empty spice containers, and we created shakers. This activity was absolutely perfect for Caterpillar - 18 months -- though it did require me to be right there on hand to keep him from putting the buttons in his mouth. The boys both definitely got moving with their shakers, and my next plan is to have them shake them while we listen to some songs from Seussical the Musical! 


2. Eat! We did a couple of food-related activities, including, of course, making actual green eggs and ham, which Wild Thing kept begging to do -- he took it very literally, so I let him get busy in the kitchen with the green food coloring. Despite my misgivings about it, he ate every bite -- though not without reciting at least half the book with me and refusing to eat them at first. It was too cute.

 We also had some cookie decorating fun with sugar cookies and three green topics: green sprinkles, green cream cheese frosting and pistachios. 




 3. Draw! We always do an art activity as well with each Virtual Book Club for Kids book, and this week was no different. I also put out the buttons as a possibility for Wild Thing with this art activity, but he was much more interested in coloring and tracing. I originally intended for the only color to be green, but he insisted on blue because at the end of the book they eat the green eggs and ham in the water. I love when even an art activity becomes a story telling activity, which it completely did.  


 

4. Learn! Finally, Wild Thing is in an early reading phase and very interested in sounding simple words out and pointing out starting letter sounds, so I try to encourage and reinforce this with the books we read through simple sight word activities and/or activities that reinforce basic phonetic concepts. Of course, Dr. Seuss books are perfect for this becaues of all of the words that rhyme, so I wrote out rhyming words on coffee filters so that he could connect that the words sound the same except for the beginning letters. On some, I also drew pictures, on others I did not. Words that rhymed were on the same coffee filter, but different sides of it, so he flipped it over to find the rhyme. He turned it into a matching game as well, which was another great idea for word learning and play. 

The flip side of the Rain card, says Train and of Boat says Goat.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing the many ways we decided to Move, Eat, Draw and Learn with Green Eggs and Ham. You can also see how we Move, Eat, Draw and Learn with Boy, Bird, and Dog by David McPhail, which I highly recommend for other early readers and everything we did Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, a fun book for anytime, but also could be really fun for Easter.  

Sharing at: Eco-Kids Tuesday, Tuesday Tots, Artsy Play Wednesday, It's Playtime! Mom's Library, The Children's Bookshelf, The Sunday Showcase.          

Please join in and share your Dr. Seuss activities as part of the Virtual Book Club for Kids Blog Hop!  

14 comments:

  1. So many excellent ideas! We finally got our book in French of Green ham and eggs and I can't wait to do those activities with our book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all that you did with the book! My son would love all of it. I think the matching game is my favorite part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies are awesome! Love all the activities you came up with for this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book ideas. Also, audio books are great to listen to when doing activities. We download them for free at http://www.twirlygirlshop.com/stories-for-kids if anyone is interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your activities. The Green Eggs and Ham cookies are so cute and so fun to do. We're going to do them tomorrow afternoon. This book has special meaning as it was the first book I learned to read on my own when I was 6.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like so much fun for little hands and delicious! Thanks for sharing and participating in the Virtual Book club for Kids. Shared this on our Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great collection of ideas. Thanks for sharing them at the Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the green eggs cookies.... they look fantastic. I like kids activities that relate to books they've read. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun Post! Thanks for linking it to Tuesday Tots. I'll be featuring it on my site this Tuesday. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many fun activities! Thanks for sharing this with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Hope to see you again today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/02/bunnys-bento-box-eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun ideas, Jen! I love that both your boys were able to enjoy some great Dr. Seuss activities! I featured your post and photo in my 50+ Montessori-Inspired Dr. Seuss Activities post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2013/02/28/50-plus-montessori-inspired-dr-seuss-activities/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these ideas for preschoolers. I am co-hosting Mom's library this week with TrueAim and I featured this post. Thanks!
    http://www.ready-set-read.com/2013/02/dr-seuss-activities-and-moms-library.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. These appear as if most fun for tiny hands and delicious! Thanks for sharing and collaborating within the Virtual Book club for teenagers. Shared this on our Facebook page.


    Thanks

    Mark
    --------
    Kids Activities

    ReplyDelete